OFFICIAL STATEMENT: BIBA CANCEL ALL FEBRUARY 2021 EVENTS – It would be Criminally Negligent to authorise events, says BIBA VP

It would be Criminally Negligent to authorise events in February, says BIBA VP

Following discussions with the Government as well as local area Safety Advisory Groups and local NHS Trusts the British & Irish Boxing Authority (BIBA) have made the decision to NOT authorise the sanctioning of any events in February 2021.

On making the announcement BIBA Vice President Gianluca Di Caro said “We discussed the situation with the promoters of the two planned February events, who both willingly agreed to reschedule the events until later in the year.

“It was a hard decision to make, but one we believe was the only one we could possibly make, without doubt it would be irresponsible to put any extra pressure on NHS services at this time.

“In reality it wouldn’t just be irresponsible but also Criminally Negligent in our view, as we could not possibly guarantee that should a boxer receive a serious head injury, such as a bleed on the brain, that they would receive the required treatment within the ‘Golden Hour’ to prevent permanent brain damage or even death.

“Whilst the Government provided ‘Positive Test’ figures do seem to be on a downward trend, the actual level of serious Infection and Hospital Admittances, as well as Deaths are still rising to record levels on a daily basis. 

“Currently, according to Government figures, there is one new hospital admittance every thirty seconds and some Hospital Trusts are reporting full or close to full capacity of ICU beds, as well as overly long waiting times within Accident & Emergency Departments.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and will announce in Mid-February whether events in March will be authorised or not.

“In the meantime we urge everyone to observe Social Distancing rules, wear face coverings over both the mouth and nose when on public transport or in the shops etc.and please wash your hands regularly for twenty seconds or use hand sanitiser.”


Tagged :


Featherweight king targets Xu Can and Gary Russell for Ring belt
Josh Warrington has today vacated his IBF World Title after the IBF refused to sanction his proposed unification fight in April.

Earlier this month, the proposed mega fight with Xu Can was delayed with a new working date of April 24. Matchroom will now look to finalise that fight or make a giant match up with WBC king Gary Russell. Both the Can and Russell fights would be for the coveted Ring Magazine belt.

“It’s so important for Josh to be in a mega fight after Lara on February 13,” said Matchroom Sport Managing Director Eddie Hearn. “He has his heart set on the Ring belt and it’s up to us to make the Can or Russell fights for April or early May. I’ve been working hard with Robert Diaz of Golden Boy to close Xu Can and also had several conversations with Luis De Cubas regarding a Gary Russell bout – both fights are Fight of the Year contenders.” 

“It’s disappointing we couldn’t have the IBF Title on the line, but I can’t let those decisions stand in the way of me going down in British boxing history by facing the very best in the division,” said Warrington. “I’ve always dreamt about winning the Ring belt, for me it leaves no doubt who the king of the division is. Right now, my mind and focus is on Lara for February 13 and then I’m looking to pick up that beautiful red and blue belt.”

Warrington will face Mauricio Lara on Saturday February 13 live on Sky Sports in the UK and on DAZN in the U.S. and more than 200 countries and territories.
Tagged :

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)