ASKIN CLASHES WITH OKOLIE FOR BRITISH CRUISERWEIGHT CROWN AT WEMBLEY


 
Matty Askin will defend his British Cruiserweight title against Lawrence Okolie at Wembley Stadium Connected by EE on September 22, live on Sky Sports Box Office.
 
Askin halted Welshman Craig Kennedy in six to claim the Lonsdale belt at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff in May 2017 before stopping Scotland’s Stephen Simmons inside two rounds at York Hall in March.
 
And now the former English Cruiserweight Champion is predicting an early night for former Team GB Olympian Okolie when the rivals collide at England’s national stadium next month.
 
“Every credit to Okolie, he’s vacated the Commonwealth title because he wants this fight but he’s going to end up flat on his back,” said Askin. “I can punch, I can box, and I can have a fight. I’ll do whatever I need to do against him to get the win. I don’t think it will go past four or five rounds, it definitely won’t go the distance.
 
“We’re both going to come out all guns blazing, it’s as simple as that. He’s going to come out thinking’s he’s going to bang me out straight away. I’m looking to go out there and tear his head off. I’ll be going in there and giving 110%, my 110% beats his 110% every day of the week. I believe that I’m a level above him.”
 
Undefeated Okolie landed the WBA Continental Cruiserweight title in his grudge match with Isaac Chamberlain in front of a huge crowd at The O2 in February, flooring the Brixton man twice in his first title fight.
 
He then added the Commonwealth belt to his collection in just his ninth pro outing when he delivered a devastating third round knockout of the previously undefeated Luke Watkins at London’s York Hall and is looking to make it three titles in three fights when he faces Blackpool’s Askin.
 
”This announcement is a fantastic day for me,” said Okolie. “My ultimate goal is to be the unified World Champion but before that I want to go down the traditional route, clean up domestically and prove to myself and the fans that I belong at that level.
 
“Matty Askin is a very experienced fighter who is ranked in the top 10 in the World. I want to start making my way towards the World scene and so I need to be able to beat people like Askin to do that.
 
“I’ve won the Commonwealth title in my first two years and I want to keep that trajectory going by winning the British title and hopefully winning a World title before the next Olympics.”
 
Promoter Eddie Hearn said: “Lawrence is continuously surprising me with his desire to step up but this is by far his biggest jump yet. I rate Askin very highly and he has shown much improvement in his last couple of fights. This is another genuine 50-50 fight for the undercard and should be an absolute banger.”
 
Askin vs. Okolie lands on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s Heavyweight unification blockbuster with Russian powerhouse Alexander Povetkin, Luke Campbell gets a chance for revenge when he rematches Yvan Mendy in a Final Eliminator for the WBC Lightweight World title, with further exciting additions to the undercard will be announced soon.
 
General sale tickets are available via www.stubhub.co.uk the official ticketing partner or https://events.wembleystadium.com. For accessible tickets please call Wembley Stadium on 0800 093 0824.
 
Official ticket and coach packages with National Express are available via www.stubhub.co.uk, with 45 departure points across the UK.
 
Tickets are priced £40, £60, £80, £100, £150, £200, £400, £800 and £2,000 VIP plus booking fees.

Please follow and like us:
error

CAMPBELL REMATCHES MENDY IN WBC WORLD TITLE FINAL ELIMINATOR


 
Luke Campbell faces Yvan Mendy in a WBC Lightweight World title Final Eliminator at Wembley Stadium connected by EE on September 22, live on Sky Sports Box Office.
 
The rivals will go again in a highly-anticipated rematch of their December 2015 fight which Mendy won via a shock split decision at The O2 in London.
 
Olympic gold medallist Campbell endured a harsh lesson at the hands of Mendy, picking himself up off the canvas for the first time in his professional career.
 
Frenchman Mendy is ranked number one at Lightweight with the WBC and is undefeated since 2015, winning ten bouts and picking up the WBC Silver Lightweight title along the way.
 
Campbell went on a five-fight winning streak after suffering his first career loss to Mendy, before being edged out by Jorge Linares last September in another split decision loss when challenging for the Venezuelan’s WBA title.
 
He returned to winning ways against Troy James in May and is determined to avenge his loss to Mendy before fighting for a World title under new trainer Shane McGuigan.
 
“I want to clear Mendy off my record,” said Campbell. “For reasons that I’ve talked about previously I should have never got in to the ring that night but what’s done is done, and I can’t wait to right that wrong on my record on fight night.”
 
“Mendy’s always been on my list for sure, he’s been winning and it will be a very tough fight. He is a tough competitor, strong and durable.
 
“I am now a completely different person and a different fighter all-round. I’m 10 times better than I was when he beat me three-and-a-half years ago. I’m bigger, I’m wiser, my boxing ability is 10 times what it was back then.
 
“I’ve already struck up a great relationship with Shane and I have no doubt that he is going to take me to the next level. I want to become a World Champion and Shane has a proven track record of achieving that with his fighters.”
 
“I’m within touching distance of landing a shot at the WBC World title and Luke Campbell is standing in my way,” said Mendy. “I’m willing to fight anyone to get my hands on that green belt – I beat him before and I will do it again. This time he will not hear the final bell.”
 
“I knew that Eddie Hearn would do his best to make this rematch happen and I’ll be fully prepared on September 22. Seven fights and two and a half years later, it’s time to confirm that I deserve the chance to fight for the WBC title.”
 
“This is probably the biggest moment of Luke’s career so far,” said Eddie Hearn. “Win and he could challenge Mikey Garcia for the title, lose and his aspirations of fighting for a World title are over. It’s a 50-50 fight and a great addition to what will be a huge night of boxing.”
 
Campbell vs. Mendy lands on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s Heavyweight unification blockbuster with Russian powerhouse Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium connected by EE on September 22.
 
General sale tickets are available via www.stubhub.co.uk the official ticketing partner or https://events.wembleystadium.com. For accessible tickets please call Wembley Stadium on 0800 093 0824.
 
Official ticket and coach packages with National Express are available via www.stubhub.co.uk, with 45 departure points across the UK.
 
Tickets are priced £40, £60, £80, £100, £150, £200, £400, £800 and £2,000 VIP plus booking fees.

Please follow and like us:
error

JOSHUA VS. POVETKIN TICKET SALES ANNOUNCEMENT


 
The first period of ticket sales for the World Heavyweight blockbuster between Anthony Joshua OBE and Alexander Povetkin on September 22 at Wembley Stadium Connected by EE will commence at 9.00am on Monday July 23.
 
Tickets will be available from 9.00am on Monday July 23 to Club Wembley members who can purchase tickets and packages via the Club Wembley website or by calling 0800 743 1440.
 
Tickets go on sale at 9.00am on Monday July 23 to Matchroom Fight Pass members via www.stubhub.co.uk.
 
Tickets go on general sale at 9.00am on Tuesday July 24 via www.stubhub.co.uk the official ticketing partner or https://events.wembleystadium.com. For accessible tickets please call Wembley Stadium on 0800 093 0824.
 
Official ticket and coach packages with National Express go on sale at 9.00am on Tuesday July 24 via www.stubhub.co.uk, with 45 departure points across the UK.
 
Tickets are priced £40, £60, £80, £100, £150, £200, £400, £800 and £2,000 VIP plus booking fees.

Please follow and like us:
error

JOSHUA AND POVETKIN COLLIDE AT WEMBLEY ON SEPTEMBER 22


 
Anthony Joshua OBE will defend his WBA Super, IBF, WBO and IBO Heavyweight World titles against WBA mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium Connected by EE on September 22, live on Sky Sports Box Office.
 
The Heavyweight king returns to the scene of his historical triumph over legendary Champion Wladimir Klitschko in April 2017, where he produced the performance of a lifetime to claim the WBA crown in an unforgettable battle in front of a post war record crowd on 90,000 at England’s national stadium.
 
The 28-year-old sensation went on to sell out the Principality Stadium in Cardiff twice, defending his belts against Carlos Takam in October before unifying the division by taking Joseph Parker’s WBO belt in March and is now thrilled to be back under the iconic Wembley arch for what promises to be another blockbuster night.
 
“I can’t wait to get back in the ring, the end of March feels a long time ago now,” said Joshua. “Povetkin is a serious challenge that I will prepare meticulously for. He has serious pedigree and only a fool would underestimate what he brings to the table.
 
“Training hasn’t stopped for me, but the next 10 weeks ahead will be intense both mentally and physically. I will push myself to breaking point to make sure I am in peak condition for another huge night for British boxing at Wembley Stadium on September 22nd.”
 
Former WBA ruler Povetkin earned his shot at Joshua when he spectacularly defended his WBA Inter-Continental and WBO International titles with a brutal fifth round KO of Liverpool’s David Price last time out on the Joshua v Parker undercard.
 
Now the Russian powerhouse is aiming to overthrow the biggest name in boxing when he fights in England for the first time in his career.
 
“The battle for the World title has always been my goal,” said Povetkin. “I fought for the moment to face the strongest in the World and on September 22nd I get my opportunity. Anthony Joshua has four belts and I want them all. I’m glad that our fight will finally take place, the meeting of two Olympic Champions in the ring is destined to be a breath-taking event.”
 
“I can’t wait to return to Wembley on September 22nd for what I believe will be one of the biggest tests of AJ’s career,” said Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn. “Last time he was there he produced one of the most dramatic fights and endings in the history of the sport and I expect this fight to be full of energy and drama – Povetkin is a Top 3 Heavyweight and extremely dangerous but in AJ I see the best Heavyweight in the World today and I think we will see a major statement.
 
“It will be another huge night for British boxing with major championship fights on the card and another one of those special nights and atmospheres that will be watched by millions all around the World.”
 
Povetkin’s promoter Andrey Ryabinskiy commented: “The fight between Joshua and Povetkin is one of the biggest fights that can happen in the Heavyweight division today! This is a colossal battle of two Olympic Champions and it is sure to be an unforgettable night of boxing. I am delighted that Alexander is getting his chance to not only become a World Champion again, but to challenge for the throne of the Super-Heavyweight division.”
 
An announcement on on-sale dates, ticket prices and travel packages will be made this week.

Please follow and like us:
error

‘JAZZA DICKENS NEEDS TO FIGHT WITH A BOXING GLOVE ON HIS HEAD!’

 

Dave Garside says James Jazza Dickens needs to fight with a boxing glove on his head, ahead of the Liverpudlian’s rematch with Martin Ward at the Rainton Meadows Arena on July 27.

 

County Durham’s Ward faces Dickens, 23-3 (8), for the British Super Bantamweight Title live on Freesports (Freeview 95, Freesat 252, Sky 422, BT 95, Talk Talk 95), and the war of words between the southpaws’ camps is heating up ahead of the highly-anticipated clash.

 

Martin, 26-4-1 (5), and Jazza originally squared off in 2015 for the same title, with Dickens edging a close encounter via a split decision verdict. That contest was a bloody affair, with Martin having to veer from his game plan after suffering serious lacerations from head clashes.

 

Cuts aren’t a new thing for Ward, either. The West Rainton man also saw his 2014 IBF World Bantamweight Title challenge to Darlington’s Stuart Hall called off after just two rounds when another head clash ended his title hopes.

 

A former Commonwealth champion, Martin has fallen short previously to Lee Haskins for the British Bantamweight Title in 2013, and was recently stopped in two rounds by Abigail Medina in an EBU European Super Bantamweight Title challenge.

 

Sharing top billing on the card will be Martin’s brother Tommy, 23-0 (3), who took the British belt off Dickens in May 2017, before recently vacating. The 24-year-old is now concentrating on the world stage and, originally slated to fight Ionut Baluta, now fights for the vacant IBF European Super Bantamweight Title against Spain’s Alvaro Rodriguez, 8-1-1 (1).

 

Former heavyweight contender Garside, who manages the Ward brothers, believes there will be no slip-ups and is eyeing a win-double for both men on July 27.

 

“Martin’s first fight with Jazza could have gone either way,” said Garside, who fought for the British Heavyweight Title in 1987. “Martin was cut and had to box totally different to how he normally boxes. It was also Martin’s first fight at super bantamweight, he’s a lot stronger now, and I suspect you’ll see a different Martin Ward in there. He will have learnt from that first fight and I’m very confident. I have a lot of faith in Martin.

 

“Jazza is a good fighter but if you look at the last few people he’s boxed, they’ve all ended up with multiple stitches and that’s through use of the head. I just hope the ref is going to look after the fighters properly. He’s a nice kid is Jazza Dickens, but he needs to have a boxing glove on his head! We have to take the rough with the smooth, but I am confident that Martin will win this time.
 
“When you look at Tommy Ward against Jazza, Tommy never lost a round. People said Jazza was coming back, but all Jazza did was butt him in the face and cut his head. Jazza was completely out boxed for the first seven rounds; it was very one-sided. Tommy has his man-strength now, he’s not a boy any more, and he’s sitting down on his shots a lot more. He’s a beautiful boxer. I’m not really concerned about his opponent on the 27th; I have every faith in Tommy.”
 
Dennis Hobson Promotions, in association with Phil Jeffries and Dave Garside and sponsored by Steve Crump, presents Martin Ward and James Dickens contesting the vacant British Super Bantamweight Title, and Thomas Ward fighting Alvaro Rodrigues for the IBF European Super Bantamweight Title, at the Rainton Meadows Arena on July 27.
 
The show will be broadcast live on Freesports (Freeview 95, Freesat 252, Sky 422, BT 95, Talk Talk 95).
 
For ticket information contact 07747 611 020.

Please follow and like us:
error

DeGALE VACATES IBF CROWN

 

Two-Time IBF World Super-Middleweight Champion James DeGale MBE has today relinquished his title as he closes in on securing big-fights in the final phase of his illustrious ring career.
 
DeGale, a former British and European Champion, has ruled the 168 pound division split over two reigns as World Champion totalling almost three years and has been involved in six IBF World Championship contests.
 
The Londoner is proud to have held the organisation’s prestigious and famous red and gold World Title belt that has been worn by many of the great fighters at the weight including legends Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones Jnr.
 
DeGale began his first reign as IBF World Champion in May 2015 by making history to become Britain’s first ever Olympic Champion to win a world title when he sensationally defeated Andre Dirrell in Boston to claim the vacant belt.
 
The trail-blazing Londoner then continued his campaign across the Atlantic to gain respect from the media and fans’ as he made the first successful defence of the title against former IBF World Champion Lucian Bute in Canada in November that year.
 
In April 2016, DeGale returned to the U.S to make the second defence of the title against tough Mexican Rogelio Medina in Washington which he won on a majority decision.
 
DeGale then aimed to solidify his dominance of the 168 pound division by attempting to unify his IBF title against WBC World Champion Badou Jack in January 2017 in Brooklyn, New York. In an electrifying, all-action fight, DeGale retained his title by way of controversial draw that many felt DeGale had won.
 
A British homecoming world title defence against American Caleb Truax in December 2017 was ruined after DeGale lost his title on a points decision in a below par performance. He later admitted it was because he returned to the ring too soon after having career saving surgery to his shoulder following the Jack fight.
 
However, DeGale proved his champion’s heart by facing Truax in his backyard for the rematch in April this year in Las Vegas when he reclaimed the title with a dominant display to win clearly on the judges’ scorecards.
 
DeGale was due to be involved in a purse bid for his IBF mandated title defence against Interim Champion Jose Uzcategui this Thursday (5th July), but has now withdrawn.
 
DeGale said, “No World champion easily gives up their World title that they’ve earned the hard way in the ring and I’ve proudly held the IBF World title in two reigns with pride and distinction which is why it makes it very hard decision to relinquish the belt. It has been a pleasure to work with the IBF and I would like to thank president Daryl Peoples for allowing me to challenge and hold the distinguished belt that so many of the division’s great champions have held before for me. It has been a honour to be recognised as the IBF World Champion and I hope that by now vacating it will ease the transition to determine a successor between the Interim champion Jose Uzcategui and the next highly ranked available contender. I’ve achieved so much in my career, Olympic Gold, British, European and International titles and two-time World Champion and I believe I’m at the top of my game right now. I’m in the final phase of my career where I have a few good years left where I can be involved in massive fights and really leave a legacy in the division’s history. My team have been working very hard behind the scenes and we’ve got some very big and exciting news to announce soon.”

Please follow and like us:
error